BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Week Without Eye Makeup

Ever since I compared eye makeup to the blinding affect of sin, I've been wearing it on a regular basis. How ironic is that? I love eye makeup. It's fun wearing lime green eyeshadow and having your brother call you "Highlighter Eyes" and asking if you can shoot lasers out of your eyes. I like how it makes your eyes look bigger and (at least for me) makes you feel more confident.

The other day, I was complaining to my friend via text message about how I didn't want a new phone, but I was getting one because the new one would be cheaper. Her reply humbled me. She said, "I could give you the 'little children in Africa' talk, but I won't."

Wow. How in the world have I become so self centered? I'm not starving. I never do without. What's happened to me?

It didn't take more than a few seconds for me to figure it out. I immediately realized the slow steps toward the "me first" mentality I've been taking. Over the past few months, I've focused on me. I've started working out, I've drastically altered my appearance, and I've cut my hair.

Now, I did all this because I felt God leading me to really figure out who I am. The whole time I've been doing so, I've filled myself up with scriptures of who God says I am. So, I don't consider any of this wrong. God wants me to be confident in who I am in him.

Now though, I feel it's time to become aware of something other than just me. So, I'm taking a week off from eye makeup. What difference will that make? You may ask. well, It's like this: I don't in any way think eye makeup is bad or evil, but I'm physically taking action to remind myself to open my eyes to what God is saying and to the needs of others.

Let's see where this takes me.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I think it's a good experiment that could tell you more about yourself than you might think. I quit wearing makeup entirely after my junior year of high school and haven't worn it regularly since. I think I maybe have worn makeup a handful of times since. It taught me that I don't need makeup to feel good about myself, or that makeup hid something that was really just an internal problem rather than an external one. Not saying that's the case with you, but I think it'll definitely teach you something.

Bonita said...

Wow, Bre, that's a great thing to do. I didn't notice that you were being self-centered, quite the opposite on most occasions, but if you and God think so then it's best to act on it.