BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Strangely Unexpected Comfort

Recently, I have noticed a few things that seem to be like comfort food to me. They are simple yet they impact my soul. These are a few of my favorite things...

The first thing I did on Monday morning, after the ban on secular music was lifted, was thank God (I seriously did) and grab my Ipod.

As I scrolled down the artist category, I didn't search for the new Paramore CD, I didn't venture toward my recent favorite, "Ghost of me", by Daughtry, I didn't even hunt for Owl City, which seems to be all the rage recently. I longed for long forgotten comfort. I grew excited as the alphabetically organized artists scrolled by. O...P...Q...R! there it is, Rascal Flatts.

I listened and found comfort. As though from a far off dream, I entered once again into the awkwardness of my preteen years. I remembered some of the best times, the hours spent lost in my love of country music.

Many times, I can't relate to the songs I hear. But Rascal Flatts has always held a special charm for me. Their songs make me feel like I have experienced parts of life that may never come across my path. Yet, they are relatable because they, as people, are so real.

My mom got a new haircut. It's smart, sophisticated, and just fits her personality. It reminds me of my childhood though. When I was little, mom had a "mommy hairdo" which was short, easy, and quick. I haven't seen her have short hair in about four years so it's a refreshing little piece happiness to have around.

As the Christmas season is fast approaching(How can that be?), I love the wintry tunes playing on the radio. I have always loved the warm feeling of familiar music while sitting next to a fire. Because it hasn't been cold enough, I haven't been able to roast next to a fire this year, but I look forward to it!

I love photoshoots with my friend, Charis. It always takes me back to a time when high school seemed far away and college was virtually nonexistent. I see how much I change every time we work together on a shoot, but it is a comfort that seems protected from the ages of time. In that momement, when the picture is captured, I am simply me. And, in that moment, just me will remain.

I can daily feel the mounting pressure of growing up, it's scary and I always feel like I'm not ready. Yet God, who knows all, sees all, and planned it all out before I was born, keeps giving me these tidbits of old, familiar comfort. Like a glimpse of who I was, they transport me to a place where I am young and God is in control, but they do more than that, they show me how far I've come instead of how far I have to go.

Deuteronomy 4:39
“So remember this and keep it firmly in mind: The Lord is God both in heaven and on earth, and there is no other.

4 comments:

Bonita said...

You've come a long way, baby! But I still catch glimpses of my little girl now and then too and, like you, that comforts me greatly. Sometimes I wish for days when you were little and crawled up on my lap, but I'm also thankful to see the godly young woman you've become. Bittersweet.

Sue J. said...

What you'll find, Bre, is that you are always growing up--even when you're supposed to be grown up already!

The world has placed these markers on the road of time, but they aren't official milestones by any stretch. The more that you remember that you operate on God's timing, the less you'll fret about what lies ahead. Remember, today has enough trouble of its own!

Anonymous said...

Dont grow up too fast...

dad

Elizabeth J. said...

Hey there, this is my first visit to your blog (I arrived here from the Christian Writers Guild blog.) I find your writing interesting and I especially liked the post about Twilight.