BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 16, 2009

A completely normal day of unexpected escapades

I had a nightmare. I woke up on co-op day and the hairdryer was dead. Not just the "Oh, well I'll go reset it and it'll be fine." kind of broken, but the "It made a weird, whirring sound and shot a miscellaneous piece of metal at me. Then it started blowing smoke and smelling like burnt hair."

I woke up in a cold sweat. The nightmare had become cold reality. My friend had spent the night and we both bemoaned the demise of my poor little dryer with many tears of angst. After a tearful farewell, we laid it to rest in the trashcan and stuck out our chins in preparation for a humiliating hair day.

I don't know what possessed me, (I'm guessing it was the breakfast of soy and flax waffles with healthy peanut butter) but when I arrived at co-op I was extremely hyper. Mr remedy? Kick off my Rocket Dogs and skip down the hallway wearing my awesome bright green, penguins ice-skating socks while singing "we're off to see the wizard". It's not weird if your friend does it with you, right? Considering my co-op meets in a church, maybe that wasn't my wisest escapade.

By third period, I was wondering if anyone else was feeling those tremors in the earth's crust that seemed to be emanating from my stomach. The seconds ticked by like a professional procrastinator. When that fateful bell finally rang, I made a beeline for the lunch room. Wouldn't you know it? They were having a bake sale. Me being the health nut that I am, I wolfed three cookies before my brain could react. My conscience never even saw it coming. I then proceeded to trade my brownie for a half eaten bowl of Ramen noodles. (I made sure the person I traded brushed his teeth that morning) I did this, of course, because the "vegetables" floating in the noodles would balance out the sugar rush I was getting.

After an eventful biology lab where we studied moldy food in great detail, I really began to regret those cookies. When class was over, I headed outside to put my backpack in the car and managed to get the bottom six inches of my too-long jeans soaked. It's funny how those puddles manage to materialize right where my feet happen to be.

There are two things I generally do when I get home from co-op. I only ever do one per week, though. I either get a marvelous head start on my homework or I do absolutely nothing useful for the rest of the day. I chose the latter. I spent hours on Facebook while simultaneously being logged in to Blogger just waiting for a comment that needed to be moderated. I finished reading my Stars Wars book , yes I'm so much of a Star Wars geek I even read the books, and then I listened to "Fireflies" by Owl City.

Later, I watched The Office, but then wished I had watched Fringe instead. As I brushed my teeth, I had phenomenal idea for a poem. (It always seems like inspiration comes at the most inopportune times.) I went into my room and discovered that darn popcorn bowl was exactly where I had left it. Despite the fact that I had gone in there many times with the specific purpose of removing it to the kitchen.

Finally, I crawled into bed and finished my night with bible study. I then passed out under the covers and ignored my alarm this morning.

2 comments:

Sue J. said...

I'm sorry to hear about your hair dryer. We lost our coffee pot a couple weeks back. It probably felt the same as having a humiliating hair day did for you--only with a nasty lack-of-caffeine headache! We're using my husband's old work coffee pot, which only makes half the quantity. That's probably better for me anyway.

I wore my slippers to the doctor's office this week. That's about as close as I'll get to going to school in socks (only, without the Wizard of Oz part).

Have a fun weekend!

Debra said...

The hair dryer breaking sucks. I've never skipped somewhere singing, 'we're off to see the wizard' but I'm making a mental note to do it with a friend at some point in my life. It's fun being random, isn't it? :)

Deb