BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Are you kidding me? I'm just a freshman!

I recently took a trip to Georgia so my brother could tour Berry college.

The campus was gorgeous. The people were friendly. The food was delicious. Serenity was in the air. Tame deer frolicked and grazed in the wide open fields of the valley. A mountain rose in the distance like a towering watchman. Bicycles were the locomotion of choice. Rain boots and umbrellas warded off the gentle drizzle of warm rain. Rumor has it the young college girls book the beautiful stone chapel before they even have a groom because of the two year waiting list.

It could all me mine O mine for a mere 32,000 dollars a year. (Not counting how much tuition might go up by the time I've graduated high school.) There are so many scholarships choices. Plus financial aid will probably help out a bit. This scholarship requires this SAT score and that scholarship is based on public service. The options are endless. Of course, I placed myself in my brother's shoes. They were really telling all of this to him.

After I got home, I pretty much just went on with life for a few days. I didn't really worry about any of what I'd heard because it was all so far off. But then I went to a meeting with my brother's college counselor. The meeting was mostly for my brother, but she was very interested in the fact that I'm a freshman. She told me of all the scholarships I can win for doing this or writing that essay. She seemed to have my next four years planned out for me, but I just want to survive my first year of high school.

I was actually quite excited about all the things I can do to ease the burden of tuition. But, after a hours thinking about ALL of it, tension started to build. How am I supposed to do that? I hate talking on the phone and I can't even drive yet. I just want to get a job, not run a nonprofit organization. There is no way I can handle this!
Ignorance is bliss. I hadn't known about any of it until that day, and I didn't even care.

A few minutes later, the most wonderful thought occurred to me. God is in control. I can put it in his hands and he'll take care of it. That peace from before I knew all the things I NEED to know for college returned. Three bible verses came to the surface of my thoughts.

Romans 12:2
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.


Isaiah 55:8
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

Isaiah 8:11
The Lord has given me a strong warning not to think like everyone else does.


While the world may say that My SAT or ACT score is vital to my college acceptance, I trust God to do his very best for me. That doesn't mean I wont study or try, but I wont worry because my God has told me to think his thoughts. While I will try to win scholarships, I will be very careful to put whatever I do in the Lord's hands. I will ask him to do great and marvelous things through me so that his glory may shine bright in my life.

5 comments:

Bonita said...

Amen!

It's nothing but Tahoe. And God can handle big water.

Anonymous said...

Very well written.

bab

Sue J. said...

Atta, girl!

Because why lock in on your "options" when you just want to live your days peacefully? Life has enough worry of its own for a day...much less thinking about tomorrow (Biblical paraphrase). Ask Him what He wants you to do today. (And know that you have lots of resources of which to ask questions later!)

Dale said...

Proverbs 16:9 A man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure.

Your perspective is full of wisdom, and I know that there are many many doors of opportunity in your future.

(PS Thanks for sharing Isaiah 8:11 - what a profound verse.)

Anonymous said...

Well said! Im so proud of you and your brother....Im sure that your Mom and Dad are so proud of you! Just what you have to do and have faith! Love you Bre!!
Aunt Sue